Laura Oki, DNP, CNP, CNM, APRN, RN-C
• Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) since 2015, preceded by 15 years as a labor and delivery nurse.
• Doctor in Nursing Practice, Frontier Nursing University, 2017
• Master’s Degree in Nursing with an emphasis in nurse midwifery, Frontier Nursing University, 2015
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Grand Canyon University, 2012
• Associates Degree in Nursing, Truckee Meadows Community College,1998
• Nationally board certified in nurse midwifery by the American Midwifery Certification Board
• Certified in Fetal Monitoring and Inpatient Obstetrics, National Certification Corporation (NCC)
• Member of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the American College of Nurse Midwives and the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses
• Member of Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
My Philosophy of Care:
Certified nurse midwives view pregnancy and birth as normal processes with a focus on patient centered care by encouraging women to participate in the decision-making process. I believe the midwife and woman are partners in care and form a relationship based on a shared decision-making model. The use of technology and intervention is used as minimally as possible and is reserved for when circumstances fall out of the realm of normal. I believe it is the duty of the midwife to ensure that women have access to most reliable and accurate information based on the best evidence so that she receives a high quality of care and and is able make informed decisions with appropriate guidance. In addition to providing care during pregnancy, labor and birth, and postpartum, I provide low risk women's health care including annual exams, preconception counseling, birth control consultations, menopause management, and addressing minor gynecological concerns to women across the lifespan.
As a mother of three children, I recognize that the birth of a child is one of the most important and memorable times in a woman's life. Whether she desires a natural birth, pain medication, or an epidural during labor, I am there to provide her with support regardless of her decision. I strive to help facilitate the most positive birth experience as possible. As a midwife, it is an honor for a woman to allow me to be a part of her birth.
Hours of Operation:
1500 E. Second Street Suite 203
Reno, NV 89502